It’s well known that hard work pays off, and London-born, New York-raised performer/songwriter Che Grand is a testament to that. Years of persistence have paid off for the young rapper as he prepares to release his solo debut album Everything’s Good Ugly on August 18, 2009 in conjunction with Believe Digital.
As he’s seen associates like trio Tanya Morgan rise through the ranks of independent shows and the internet to gain critical acclaim, Che Grand set his sights on doing the same. Without grappling at others’ coattails, Che took it upon himself to collaborate with like-minded artists and producers to create his own sound. Beat crafters like Wale Oyejedi, Illmind and singer/songwriter Colin Munroe all incorporate their unique touches on the album.
Through the release of promotional mixtapes, singles and videos online, Che Grand has amassed his own fanbase, while maintaining the collective approval of his rap associates. The son of Nigerian immigrants in Britain, Che always dreamed of reaching the American Hip Hop audience with global appeal, and reaching the world with his sound.
“I’ve never believed in setting boundaries for the music I make,” explains Che. “Artists respected for making great bodies of work have always caught my ear. I wanted to take my time and create something capable of leaving a mark one day.”
Che Grand has focused immensely on live performances, and has shared the stage with the likes of Kid Cudi, Wale, The Cool Kids, Blu and Tanya Morgan. He’s also gotten approval from more established performers like Lupe Fiasco and Busta Rhymes, further solidifying the direction he has taken with his movement.
Che’s new album, Everything’s Good Ugly, is the creative accumulation of his life story. “It’s about pursuing a dream, while juggling life’s ups and downs, relationships and becoming comfortable in new – and sometimes awkward – situations,” says Che. “The topics are relatable, the songs are proactive, the production is rich. Encouraging, honest and funky, this is a natural growth of an individual in audio.”
For more information on the release of Everything’s Good Ugly, go to http://www.believedigital.com/albums/65428,everythings-good-ugly.html
Everything’s Good Ugly track list
01. Bless’d ft. Jacob Soul – prod. by Big Neeze
02. Gift Wrap – prod. by Brian Brizzo
03. Swing – prod. by Brian Brizzo
04. Walking Under Ladders ft. Elucid & Spec Boogie – prod. by Illmind
05. Gold Chains Part Deux – prod. by PB
06. Too Much Too Soon ft. Colin Munroe – prod. by Colin Munroe
07. City On Fire – prod. by Big Neeze & PB
08. R E S T A R T (Original) – prod. by PB)
09. Celebrate We – prod. by Wale Oyejide)
10. People Bowling ft Tanya Morgan – prod. by Brian Brizzo
11. Crash – prod by Von Pea of Tanya Morgan
12. Girls Talk feat DbM – prod. by Aeon
13. I Know You Still Want Me – prod. by Aeon
14. Life’s Grand ft. N.icky (of Heavy) – prod. by Aeon
15. Large Hadron Collider – prod. by Suhburb
16. Chateau Gold – prod. by Brian Brizzo
17. Soraya’s Jam ft. Benny Sings – prod. by Benny Sings
18. Across The Sky – prod. by Suhburb